The story of our sour beer
At the beginning of February we brewed what is going to be a wild Saison with rye and spelt malts, fermented directly in a new oak barrel with Brettanomyces and Saccharomyces yeasts as well as Lactobacillus and Pediococcus bacterial strains.
Everything was going smooth as planned. We received the brand new barrel, we applied the special instructions which we needed to swell the barrel for several days and after we made the beer, we transferred it directly in the barrel and added the yeast. In the first days the fermentation was going wild, being very aggressive, causing the barrel staves to loosen. So it began the leaking…
As much as we like to think that everything is going as planned, sometimes the unexpected hits you. The same happened to our beer. Day after day, the leaking was intensifying causing a lot of beer loss. We tried every method that was possible to stop the leaking, but it was all in vain, the fermentation was too aggressive and therefore we had no way of stopping that leaking.